Monday, May 9, 2011

What I Know About the Human Body...

Over our years in school we have learned many things about the human body, but I have retained very little. Being asked the question "What do you know about the human body?" I simply draw a blank. Trying to reach into my head I will now try to remember... What I know about the human body.
First, I know about the heart from 5th grade science and from taking a lifeguarding course over the summer. I know that the heart is a four chambered organ, a left and right ventricle and then the left and right atrium. I know that the heart brings in and then pumps out blood, something that is essential.
Secondly, I know that the human body is made up of millions of cells, of which we studied this year and can be seen in other blogposts. Because we are eukaryotic, our cells function differently depending on where they are and what functions they serve.
I know about many of the different organs in the body. I know that the esophagus, small intestine, large intestine, stomach and anal make up the digestive system (probably a few more...) I know that the lungs (two of them) are necessary for breathing and bring in oxygen and release carbon dioxide and other wastes. I know that your brain, besides the heart, is the most important organ in the body and has a nerve attaching itself to your back, and if you damage the nerve in anyway (such as breaking your back) you will most likely become paralyzed or some other form of permanent damage.
I know that, arteries carry blood to the heart (oxygen-deprived) and veins from the heart to other parts of the body.
I know that humans are different, and are deemed superior, because we have opposable thumbs which enable us to move and pick up things that no other species can (except monkeys, but they are very similar to us)
There are many more things that I know about the human body, except that I am drawing a blank on them now and I don't have enough room to write every thought I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment